Friday, September 3, 2010

Simplification in science

I am interested in the information that is lost as scientists proceed from experiment to publication. The real factors that slip through the cracks of expediency. What is more important in the communication of research, the method, or the factoid results that come from it? Are we too trusting in the scientific method? Has peer-review become a substitute for a wider interrogation of method?

These are just a few questions going through my mind as I read "Simplification in Scientific Work: An Example from Neuroscience Research" - a 1983 article by the late Susan Leigh Star. I was particularly struck by an early observation in the article that "published scientific conclusions tend to present results as faits acomplis, without mention of production of decision-making processes." I am not sure that this is so true today, but I am intrigued by the possibility that it is exactly that loss of information (as research is presented with a higher degree of 'granualrity') that opens a door for skepticism in the wider community. When a large body of research by multiple scientific schools tends to agree on a matter, there is sometimes an impression given that they are all doing exactly the same experiments. Whilst the broad methods are the same, of course expedient decisions are made and this causes subtle differences. These are not always thoroughly explained, even if they are justified. I can't help but think that something in this is relevant to the skeptical program in climate change. Is this what lets in the calls of "conspiracy"?

More to read, more to do. I have a few other things on my plate, but this is an intriguing line of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment